Midnight celebration unites Nike and Michigan community
August 1, 2016
?? Photo gallery
?? Michigan-Nike microsite: GoBlueHailMichigan.com
?? #HailMichigan: Tagboard on social networks
?? A corn. A bruise. One partnership. (News.Nike.com)
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Long before the clock struck midnight Sunday night (July 31) until Monday morning, the party vibe in downtown Ann Arbor was on full display. Families with ties to Michigan waited until 4 p.m.
By the time midnight struck and the University of Michigan officially reunited NIKE Inc. as the official supplier of footwear, apparel, and athletic gear to the Wolverines (August 1), thousands of people had flooded S. State St. in front of The M Den’s flagship location, waiting to be among the first to buy Michigan’s new Nike gear.
Special appearances from Desmond Howard, LaMarr Woodley, Jimmy King, Jim harbaugh and Prefect Manuel thrilled the crowd – one so large that one block was closed from 10pm until almost 3am.
Several lucky fans were selected to participate in a special media tour of the store hours before it opened to the public, and the University’s popular social media hashtag, #GoBlue, was still trending on the West Coast until Monday afternoon.
The queue to access The M Den finally went down at 2:23 a.m. While shoppers were happy to have early morning access to elite clothing, the midnight vibe personified Michigan community and love. The storytelling is expected to continue throughout the day from Monday, through Tuesday with an event in Detroit to celebrate the soccer team’s exclusive partnership with Jordan Brand, and in the future with additional unique collaborations.
Nike will provide uniforms, shoes, clothing and equipment to the 31 UM sports teams. UM and Nike will also work together throughout the deal on innovation initiatives in sports technology, design and best practice.
Additional details about the partnership:
- The deal is valued at $ 173.8 million. This includes an upfront payment of $ 12 million to the university, $ 76.8 million in total annual payments, and $ 85 million in clothing. The partnership entered into force on August 1 and runs until 2027, with an option to extend the agreement until 2031.
- Nike hosts at least two community events per year that support and celebrate health and wellness education initiatives.
- The partnership includes three summer internships for students at Nike headquarters.
- The agreement includes the use of Jordan Brand âJumpmanâ apparel for men’s and women’s basketball and football.
- Throughout the partnership, Nike will adhere to Nike’s Code of Conduct, which meets, exceeds or has equivalent treatment of all requirements of the UM Code of Conduct for Licensees relating to labor standards.
- The agreement provides for Nike to make available the list of factories where the collegiate product is manufactured and provide for independent external monitoring and investigation of those factories by third parties mutually agreed upon by UM and Nike.
Contact person for communication: Kurt svoboda