Parents push for Michigan mask mandate inside schools | Michigan News

By DAVID EGGERT, Associated Press

LANSING, Michigan (AP) – A coalition of parent groups on Wednesday urged the Michigan Department of Health to require indoor masking in all schools to fight the coronavirus and vowed to fight politicians who oppose such mandates.

The Michigan Parents Alliance for Safe Schools includes pro-mask groups from a dozen counties – seven with school mask mandates and five without.

“Right now you have about 60% of Michigan’s kids covered. And the remaining 40%? We will continue to fight for them, ”said Emily Mellits, mother of two school-aged children in Macomb County. It is Michigan’s third most populous county and, unlike most large counties and many small ones, does not require face coverings, leaving schools to decide.

The coalition, which launched a petition demanding a statewide mandate for state health director Elizabeth Hertel, acted a day after a Republican-controlled Senate committee approved bills that would prevent state and local health officials from requiring masks to attend school. Some GOP lawmakers have threatened financial repercussions on county health departments that issue mask orders.

Political cartoons

Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s administration lifted a broad mandate on indoor masks in June, citing vaccinations and low infection rates. She said it’s best to hide the decisions to be made locally as it increases the chances of people complying.

But Mellits said school board members are not public health experts and “that shouldn’t be their responsibility.” Some, she said, do not trust advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, both of which recommend universal masking in schools as cases have increased.

Dr Rosemary Olivero, a pediatric infectious disease specialist in western Michigan who has three children in school, said masking in indoor environments where COVID-19 transmission is high or substantial “isn’t everything. simply not negotiable. The lack of a universal mandate on masks in the state of Michigan has not only left our children vulnerable to COVID-19, but also unvaccinated and fragile members of our community. This will undoubtedly put us back in our ability to control the pandemic and live safely with this virus. “

When asked about the petition, state health department spokeswoman Lynn Sutfin applauded local health agencies and school districts for requiring face coverings and urged all districts to follow their lead. But there is no indication that the Whitmer administration will change course.

Michigan recorded about 6,600 new cases of the virus over two days and 62 additional deaths, including 41 older deaths resulting from a review of records. The seven-day case average as of Monday, 2,476, was up from 2,198 two weeks earlier, according to Johns Hopkins University. The daily average of deaths was stable at 21, down from 20 on August 30.

The number of adults hospitalized with confirmed infections was a third of the April peak. The state’s two-week case rate continued to be among the lowest nationally.

Follow David Eggert on https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Source link